Friday 26 June 2015

The trouble with Germany

There are too many cars. I know, you thought I was going to say that they keep invading Poland; I'd never say that. Crossing the Rhine back into France, it was as if everyone had died. Don't get me wrong, I do like Germany, a lot, but it's all a bit busy. And serious. And they shout at you if you cross against a red light, even if it is clear for 10000 miles. Perhaps it's because my French is so much better than my German. Oh, and the food is better in France. Much better. But you knew that.

I suppose it's being demob happy, but I had a stonking day. 120 km at an average of 18 kph. Eat your heart out, Bradley Wiggins.

Staying in Strasbourg for a couple of nights R&R. It's a nice town, very cosmopolitan. As I'm sure you know, it is the capital of Alsace, a region with many strong traditions, not least of which is being invaded by Germany. Sod it! I didn't mean to mention the war. Anyway, it is renowned for its unique cuisine, of which tarte flambée is but one example. Bearing this firmly in mind, I went for a curry. There is something so false about speaking French to an Indian waiter, don't you think? You want to say 'come on, we both know you speak English'.

Reflecting on yesterday's rather depressing post at some length, I considered how a left-leaning, Guardian-reading friend of mine would position it: it's not a failure, it's a deferred success. I hope Lloyd doesn't read this, I shudder to think how he would react if he knew I know people who read the Guardian.

Evening, all






The Rhine - big, isn't it?
Home at last - well, almost

1 comment:

  1. But I knew you when you were a left-leaning Guardian reader yourself. And you used to rock and roll.

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear from anyone following this blog. I will make every effort to get back to you if your comment needs a reply and you leave contact details. To comment anonymously, select 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment As' option.

Thank you so much...Chris