Friday 5 June 2015

Apologies

This might not be the usual high standard of prose that you have come to expect. You see, I've got a bit of a problem. Despite burning around 4000 calories a day over and above what you need to stay alive, I have no appetite whatsoever. Fortunately, my enjoyment of alcohol remains unaffected, anyway, you can guess the rest...

No Internet for two days - actually very liberating. My friend John (richest man in the world™)  said you can get Internet access absolutely everywhere these days, but so far, I've managed approximately nowhere, so yet again I'm using my very expensive dongly thing.

I think we last met in rainy Brittany. On the second day's cycling, I met my friend Alain Loinsard. He is, basically, bonkers. A lean, fit cycling machine. He thinks the correct speed to cycle is 30 kph. Well, I don't. He nearly killed me, and it was only through showing great strength of character, ie going very slowly, that I survived at all. Lovely chap with a gorgeous house near St Malo, and a very good attitude to the state of the planet. His only fault, and it's a big one, he doesn't drink.

However, the next day, i finally made it to Fougeré (look it up) and spent a lovely evening with Joyce who runs a veggie B and B, is a stunning cook, and who I knew straight away was my sort of person when she offered me a beer on arrival. A lovely evening, I wanted to stay an extra night, but she was booked, and I'm not surprised.

Today, I staggered onwards in sultry conditions and made it to Saumur. Roy/Philip, remember Saumur? Anyway, I popped into the very helpful tourist information and they found me a top-hole b & b in Montreuil-Bellay, where I have effectively a suite for not much money.

Tomorrow, day off. I'm slightly concerned because I'm losing feeling in my left hand, so hoping a rest will sort that out, anyway, I'm old and knackered.

A pleasant evening at a cheap-ish restaurant playing 'spot the dick-head'. In the past, you could almost guarantee they would be English, but the French are now catching up. I suppose that's globalisation for you.

Oh, lost my jacket today, it fell off the carrier. A very nice lady stopped me and I went back, only to see an arse pick it up. I shouted at him, but he gave me the international sign for peace, at least, I think that's what it was, and drove off. I did get his number, but thought 'do I really want to spend the rest of the day in a police station' so left it at that. I didn't really like it anyway, it clashed. I  did put a curse on him, though, so that's him buggered.

Anyway, that's the news from Lake Woebegone, Philip, thank you for commenting and I wish you were here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris,

    I think that we all know that the loss of the jacket is just another excuse to go shopping for a new one - I'm sure there will be a Decathlon nearby.

    Keep at it and good to read your posts.

    Btw, you apparently have more than one Geoff as a friend, very inconvenient!

    Best wishes


    Geoff D

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear from anyone following this blog. I will make every effort to get back to you if your comment needs a reply and you leave contact details. To comment anonymously, select 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment As' option.

Thank you so much...Chris