Saturday 27 June 2015

La dernière classe

This evening, we have a bit of a literary theme, so if that is not your scene, switch over now.

Being in Alsace got me thinking. As I mentioned, Alsace has been pinched by the Germans / French on more than one occasion. The title, as well as indicating this is probably the last you will hear about this little saga, also refers to a short story by the wonderful Alphonse Daudet, in a collection called Contes du lundi. It is about a French teacher in an Alsatian school teaching (you've probably guessed this bit) his last class after the Germans had invaded in the Franco Prussian war. Living in England, that sort of thing hasn't happened for nearly a thousand years, but it makes you think, doesn't it?

Continuing to pinch bits of French literature to wrap this up, I will have bored many of you witless with my eulogies for Voltaire's Candide. It really is the only philosophy you need to know. I am glad I did this, but now I feel, like the eponymous Candide, it is time to cultivate my garden.

I take the train from Strasbourg at 0715 tomorrow and eight and a half hours later, I shall be back in Roscoff. Apart from the last bit, we're talking TGV here, so it makes me realise just how much I have achieved.

Especial thanks to Ad, Philip and Geoff for keeping me going when I might have given up, and to Kylle for offering to bale me out on more than one occasion. And thanks to Carla, for just being so nice.

Finally, on a lighter note, yesterday's curry was so good, I thought 'why not?'- well, you do, don't you? The place was surprisingly empty, but about half way through my meal, two very drunk Tamils came in and started treating the waitress like a servant, not helped by the fact they spoke no French. I acted as interpreter (at first) and late as mediator, persuading her just throwing them out was probably better than calling the cops. When I paid the bill, I said i should pay more for the floor show. Au contraire, dit-elle, I have knocked 10 euros off for your help.

Evening all.

1 comment:

It would be lovely to hear from anyone following this blog. I will make every effort to get back to you if your comment needs a reply and you leave contact details. To comment anonymously, select 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment As' option.

Thank you so much...Chris