Saturday 11 June 2016

Twinning

How does it work? I could just about see how Magny-en-Vexin could be twinned with Chipping-Norton (see earlier blog) but today I noticed that Vernouillet is twinned with Cheddar. Now I don't know if you have been to Cheddar. I admit it is somewhat touristy, but it is fundamentally ok. Vernouillet is like Slough but without the charm of many Indian restaurants, and, of course, the legendary Trading Estate. I bet it wasn't Cheddar who asked first, I'm just amazed they said 'yes'. Later, I went through La Loupe, twinned with Royston, so I had to take a picture for Roy, but it's on my phone and this cheapskate place only allows one device to connect to the Internet. So, sorry, no pictures today.

Last night, after the pichet de rouge, I thought 'sod it, I'm going to cycle the whole way'. This morning, it was raining hard so I had a bit of a change of heart. I've booked a bike space on the train from Le Mans to Morlaix, so I've sort of given up. I still have to get from here (La Ferté Bernard) to Le Mans by lunch time, but an early start should sort that.

Like du Maurier's curate's egg, it's been a very mixed trip. Lovely seeing Thessa and Marie and Stan, but overall spoilt by the weather. Favourite stages? Oddly, Holland. Cycling is a dream there and you always feel safe on the road. And it's flat, although there is a hill if you look very hard. And the Dutch are, well, nice. On the whole, the French treat cyclists with more respect than the English, but their suicidal driving style and astounding lack of anticipation does not relax. I think when the French take the driving test, they should always be told they've failed.

So, Philip, I hope that answers your question, and thank you for posting.

Finally, I know why there are no Cuckoos in England, they've all moved to France in anticipation of Brexit.

Evening all.

Tomorrow, the final edition. Will the perfidious, striking French keep our hero from home and slippers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear from anyone following this blog. I will make every effort to get back to you if your comment needs a reply and you leave contact details. To comment anonymously, select 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment As' option.

Thank you so much...Chris