Wednesday 8 June 2016

Euphoria evaporates

Ignore what I said about how lovely the Nord is. Well, it was certainly nice from the Belgian border to St Quentin, but today has been largely the north that I remember from school holidays before the autoroutes were opened. Lots of rolling countryside, big fields with boring crops of wheat or lettuce. One noticeable change is how few shops and bars there are en route. I have seen one of each in 80km.

Staying at an Airbnb this evening and the bloke won't be there until 1730 so I'm sitting beside the Aisne just outside Compiègne, slowly falling asleep. Were I to be restricted to two adjectives to describe last night's hotel, I would go for 'compact' and 'noisy'. Why do people need to start - and rev - their engines then have a long conversation before going home? When I'm in charge of everything, it will be law that people's cars blow up if they hoot the horn after 9pm.

Sorry, no free Wi-Fi tonight, so no pictures, as I'm a cheapskate.
Mediocre meal in Compiègne, but nice watching the world go by.

Tired and sleepy, so... evening all

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear from anyone following this blog. I will make every effort to get back to you if your comment needs a reply and you leave contact details. To comment anonymously, select 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment As' option.

Thank you so much...Chris