Tuesday 7 June 2016

Chez les ch'tis

I never really saw the point of the North of France. I saw it as an irritating but necessary stepping stone to where you really wanted to be, ie the South of France. How wrong I was.

First of all, apologies for the radio silence. Rest assured that I spent my time wisely, sampling Marie's wonderful cooking and Stan's wine cellar. Amazingly, no real problems arose through over-indulgence, though I did fall down the stairs, but that was this morning, therefore not drink related. We had some fun, but either they were going to have to adopt me, or I had to move on. So I did.

Marie looking thoughtful over pre-lunch drinks


This evening I'm at St Quentin, one of the places we normally flash past on the way to somewhere else. Don't. It's nice. Pleasant square with a Cloth Hall and nice bars and restaurants around. As always in France, and contrary to popular opinion, the people are pleasant, too. You just have to make a bit of an effort.

It's been a tough day. Very hot and humid, and I ran out of water, which is stupid and unforgivable. Fortunately, a shop appeared as if by magic at the moment of maximum despair.

The Nord département is lovely, rolling landscape, pretty and quiet, as is the adjoining bit of Belgium. I had a couple of long cycle tracks along former railways and also went along the Oise for a bit you can't knock it.




I'm going to do a party political broadcast now on behalf of the Remain cause. I might alienate some of you, if so, I'm sorry. I love the EU. It's got it's problems, that's for sure, but it's welded together disparate people into a Union of which we should be proud. Wandering around the last week, it's all so easy. Compare it to how things used to be with border crossings and bags full of different currencies. I love it! It's a force to be reckoned with and I hope it remains. Let's face it, it's not EU migrants who are the problem.

Anyway, you might disagree, and I'm sorry if you do. I'm not going to argue, I'm on holiday.

On the Nature Table
I'm sorry, I'm giving up. There is no nature. Another cuckoo, but we've done those. Pleased to see many more cows in the fields in France, compared to cows in jails in Holland. What price cheap food, eh?

Evening all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear from anyone following this blog. I will make every effort to get back to you if your comment needs a reply and you leave contact details. To comment anonymously, select 'Anonymous' from the 'Comment As' option.

Thank you so much...Chris